June is Men’s Health Month, a time to shine a spotlight on men’s health issues. Starting with the enactment of a bill signed by President Clinton in 1994 to establish a National Men’s Health Week, it was expanded shortly thereafter to include the whole month.
Although there’s been some progress made in the area of men’s health, there’s still good reason to worry about the health of the men (and boys) in your family.
According to the Men’s Health Network, a private, non-profit agency devoted to spreading awareness of men’s health issues, the stats on men’s health are dismal. According to the group:
- Men die 5 years earlier than women, on average. (In 1994, men died 7 years earlier than women).
- Men lead in nine out of ten of the top causes of death.
- Men are a greater risk for death in every age group.
- Men have a higher suicide death rate than women.
- Men account for 92% of workplace fatalities[i].
In addition, the National Center of Health, Physical Activity and Disability reports that compared to women, men are likely to smoke more, make unhealthy or risky choices and put off regular checkups and medical care. They named some of the most important health conditions affecting men as issues with the heart, prostate, colon, and bones. They point out that these conditions also have important nutritional implications[ii].
Proper nutrition is essential in addressing many health issues that plague the American male. Kirkman® offers a wide range of nutritional supplements to support men’s health and certain supplements that are formulated especially for men. Our top recommendations include the following:
To establish a good nutritional foundation:
- Kirkman’s Advanced Adult Multi-Vitamin/Mineral hypoallergenic capsules (#0394-180)
- If 60 years old or over – Kirkman’s 60 to 90 Men’s Multi-Vitamin & Mineral Boost (#3430-060, #3430-120)
For heart health:
- CoQ10 (Kirkman offers a wide variety of CoQ10s in various strengths and types including capsules, powders and chewable tablets)
- Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) (Kirkman® offers a wide variety of EFAs in various strengths and types including capsules, powders and liquids.)
- Magnesium (Kirkman® offers a wide variety of magnesium products in capsules, cream, powder, liquids and chewable wafers)
For immune support:
- Vitamin D-3 4000 IU hypoallergenic capsules (#0434-120)
- Zinc (Kirkman® offers a wide variety of Zinc products in capsules, liquid, lozenges and cream)
For prostate and detox support:
[i] Men’s Health Month Toolkit | Mens Health Month. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.menshealthmonth.org/mens-health-month-toolkit.html
[ii] The Importance of Men’s Health : NCHPAD – Building Inclusive Communities. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.nchpad.org/650/2629/The~Importance~of~Men~s~Health