By Erin Lehmann Staff Writer Kirkman Group, Inc.
The new year is officially underway. Establishing a new and improved workout routine is one of the most popular New Year’s resolutions for rookies and seasoned athletes alike. Just as important as sticking to your fitness goals is making sure your diet encourages the results you want and rewards your body for its hard work. Whether you need a pre-workout energy boost or an after workout recovery punch, we’ve got some nutritious ideas that benefit metabolism and aid in muscle support. High in protein and free of allergens, these snacks are quick and convenient, so the time you save in the kitchen can be spent working toward the new you.
Turkey Avocado Toast
- ½ large avocado
- 1 slice gluten free bread
- 2-4 ounces roast turkey
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Toast the gluten free bread.
- Using a butter knife, spread the avocado along the toast covering its surface.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer turkey atop the avocado and enjoy.
Oatmeal with Berries
- ¼ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup water or prepared Vance’s™ DariFree™ Original Flavor
- Handful of fresh or frozen berries of your choice
- Place the oats in a bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the water or prepared Vance’s™ to a boil.
- Slowly pour the hot liquid over the oats, cover and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir the oats, and add the handful of berries for a snack that provides sustaining energy.
No Nut Trail Mix
- 1 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup dried blueberries
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup Paskesz Real Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Enjoy a handful or two before a workout.
- Keep fresh by storing in an airtight container.
Recovery Rice Cakes
- 2 brown rice cakes
- ½ banana
- 1 tbsp. sunflower seed butter
- Spread sunflower seed butter onto each rice cake.
- Place thin banana slices on the buttered side of the rice cake.
- Combine together in sandwich style or eat separately.
- Pour the prepared Vance’s™ DariFree™ Chocolate Flavor into a blender.
- Add a banana along with two scoops of Pea Protein Powder.
- Ice cubes may be added for a colder smoothie.
- Blend until desired texture is achieved.
- 2 tbsp. hummus – any flavor
- 1 can tuna or chicken
- ½ cup spinach
- Handful gluten free crackers
- In a bowl, break up the canned chicken or tuna until desired consistency is achieved.
- Spread hummus onto the crackers. (The hummus works as a substitute for the mayonnaise and mustard commonly added to canned tuna or chicken.)
- Lay a spinach leaf across each cracker.
- Add the tuna or chicken to the cracker for a protein packed snack.