While reading, writing and arithmetic are the basics of a child’s education, there is something even more basic that makes learning possible. It’s good nutrition, of course!
Some basic nutritional building blocks are vital for children to grow, concentrate and learn. But what are these building blocks?
· Children need protein for building cells and for other important functions. Good protein sources you can pack in a lunch include mini-meatballs, almond butter and yogurt.
· Carbohydrates help build and repair tissue. Complex carbohydrates, such as brown rice, oats and whole-grain pastas and breads, fuel the body longer than simple carbohydrates.
· Good fats provide energy and help utilize fat-soluble nutrients. Fats from food like nuts, fatty fish and avocados are all good sources.
· Fiber promotes healthy digestion, and fiber-rich whole-grain cereals, seeds and nuts can all become lunchtime favorites.
· Minerals have many important functions in the body. Especially important for children, calcium builds healthy bones and teeth. Kids love cheese and ice cream, but they can also enjoy dairy-free alternatives like broccoli and tofu, especially if dressed up with a yummy topping. Dried figs, almonds and sesame seeds are all convenient calcium rich options. Iron helps blood carry oxygen to cells. Nuts, whole grains and burgers are just a few iron-rich foods.
· Vitamins like vitamins A, C, D and a folate source are essential. Vitamin A fosters good vision and helps in staving off invaders. Vitamin C helps the body make collagen, an important protein used to make skin and other tissues. Vitamin D is needed in order to absorb calcium, aiding in bone development. Folate is a B vitamin that is necessary for healthy growth of a child’s cells. Spinach and broccoli provide both vitamins A and C, although children can enjoy a variety of delicious fruits as a vitamin C source. Folate is found in whole-grain cereals. Fatty fish provides vitamin D.
- Turkey sandwich on whole-grain bread (can be gluten free)
- Yogurt (can be dairy-free)
- Sweet potato chips
- Mixed berries
Kirkman® can help
What if Johnny doesn’t finish his lunch? Kirkman® Ultra Tested® nutritional supplements can give parents that extra layer of assurance that Johnny’s dietary needs are being met.
Kirkman® offers a time-tested line of vitamin, mineral and multi-vitamin/multi-mineral options in many easy-to-take forms, such as the following.
Kirkman’s hypoallergenic Children’s Multi-Vitamin/Mineral Capsules provide a high-potency, all-purpose, vitamin/mineral supplement specially designed to support the nutritional health of children.
Kirkman’s Children’s Chewable Multi-Vitamin/Mineral Wafers with Xylitol, a delicious mango/peach flavored formulation, naturally sweetened with xylitol and dextrose. Kids love the taste, so compliance won’t be a problem.
The Children’s Chewable Multi-Vitamin/Mineral Wafers with Xylitol contain higher potencies than many comparable, commercially sold multi-vitamins, and include trace minerals plus coenzyme Q10. Importantly, Kirkman® offers a better choice for a chewable product because it contains only natural flavorings and no colorings.
Kirkman’s new Children’s Chewable Calcium w/Vitamin D-3 Chocolate Wafers taste like creamy white chocolate. Kids love them! These new chocolate calcium wafers contain 250 mg of calcium and 80 IU of vitamin D-3.
Let Kirkman® help make your back-to-school season as easy as A, B, C!