Things are finally starting to feel like summer! The kids are getting out of school, the weather is warming up, and the days are getting longer. Summer is a great time to refresh, slow down and reboot from your usual hectic schedule!
What better way to kick-start the summer than by planning a family picnic? It’s a chance to enjoy the weather, add a twist to family lunch or dinner and the best part? Very little time spent in the kitchen! Take a look at these great picnic ideas to try out this summer that are guaranteed to be lasting memories for years to come!
Here is a great, light summer salad that is quick and easy to make. It is a great dish to take to a BBQ or on a picnic. Add personal servings in a Mason jar for easy serving, and top with your favorite dressing or this homemade Jalapeño dressing!
Grilled Chicken Avocado Salad
- 2 pounds chicken breast, grilled and diced
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1-cup diced red bell pepper
- 1-cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½-cup corn kernels (if canned – drained, if frozen – thawed) (Optional)
- ½-cup diced white onion
- ¼-cup thinly sliced fresno peppers, deseeded
- 2-cups greek yogurt
- 2 jalapeños, roughly chopped
- 1 large handful of cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2-teaspoon salt
- ⅛-teaspoon black pepper
- Juice of 2 limes
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until well combined. Set aside.
- Combine all salad ingredients and 1-cup of salad dressing in a large bowl, or individual serving in a Mason jar. Gently toss until the ingredients are coated in dressing.
- Cover and refrigerate.
What picnic is complete without a sandwich of some kind? We’ve added a twist with these pinwheels that are a kid-favorite and so easy to make! An added bonus is they are easy to customize, which means each member of the family can have their own favorite ingredients!
- 1-cup turkey, or favorite sandwich meat
- 4-ounces baby spinach
- 1-cup hummus
- 7-ounces red pepper, roasted (optional)
- 4 gluten-free tortillas or flatbread
- Take one gluten-free tortilla and spread hummus
- Layer the turkey, baby spinach and red peppers as flat as possible
- Tightly roll the tortilla. Cut into pieces. Enjoy!
Take a look at this quick and easy dessert recipe that you can make ahead of time! Cut into bite-sized pieces for an even more convenient picnic dessert.
- 1 ½-cups Paskesz Real Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2-teaspoons coconut oil
- ¾-cup vegan gluten free brown rice crisp cereal
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or wax paper. Set aside at room temperature.
- Melt the chocolate using the double boiler method, or do the following: add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a medium, microwave-safe bowl (large enough to add cereal later). Heat in 20-second increments until softened, stirring in between heating increments, until smooth.
- Add cereal to melted chocolate. Using a rubber spatula, stir and fold until well incorporated. Pour this mixture into the prepared baking pan. Using the spatula, smooth into an even layer.
- Transfer the pan into the freezer and freeze for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and allow to thaw for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!
An easy go-to option for any summer dessert is a nice, seasonal fruit salad! You can add you and your family’s favorite fruit and mix it up in a big bowl and enjoy a healthy and sweet option. To mix things up, try making fruit skewers! You can add your favorite fruit to a skewer pack into your picnic!
We’d love to hear if you have tried any of the recipes included in the Kirkman Family Newsletter! Let us know what you think, or post a photo on our Facebook Page!