There is no better way to beat the summertime heat than with fresh fruit. It is sweet and refreshing, and can be added to the side of almost any dish. Try out this great fresh fruit lime salad at your next event – it’ll be sure to satisfy!
Fresh Fruit Lime Salad
2 Cups Blueberries
2 Cups Green Grapes
2 Cups sliced ripe strawberries
2 Tablespoons of raw honey (or less if you wish)
Juice of one lime
Zest of half a lime
Mix all together and enjoy!!! Refrigerate any leftovers!!
So fresh and colorful at any event!!
Your insurance has changed or maybe you have been given a diagnosis that requires a specialist to treat you. You are looking for a new doctor and don’t really know where to start. The following information might be helpful as you begin your search for a new physician.
- Ask your friends, family or your current doctor (if you are looking for a specialist) who they use and if they are happy. It is always reassuring to receive a name from someone you know and trust.
- Read the reviews online for your doctor. Not only check out the number of stars they are given, but read the reviews to see if this would be a person you want to work with long-term. Do they listen carefully to your concerns? Are they easy to talk to? Do they explain things fully to you, so you understand the issues and options? How much time do they spend with their patients? How long does it take to get an appointment? Are they willing to call or email you with results?
- Check out where they went to college and any specialized training they may have. A doctor’s profile should include where they went to medical school and which hospital attended for their internship/residency . The magazine US World and News Report does an issue each year ranking the best hospitals in the United States. It’s worth a look to see if your prospective physician did their under graduate work at one of these hospitals.
- If this is a concern for you, do they incorporate alternative modes of care with Western Medicine? Are they supportive of supplements, acupuncture and other modalities of care? Do you see them each visit or do you see a nurse practitioner after the initial consult?
- There are professional groups who review physicians. Check with them. At minimum Google your doctor. In this day and age, a lot can be learned from this easy source of information. Call the Medical Board to see if any complaints or legal actions have been filed against them.
- Check to see if the doctor accepts your insurance and if they are in the network. A quick call can save you a lot of money if the answer is no to either of the above. If you are on Medicare, and need an injection, make sure the provider’s office will bill both part D and Part B of Medicare. The trend these days is to have your injections done at the pharmacy, but are you OK with that?
- How does it feel when you walk into the office? A lot can be learned by how you feel about the people up front. Do they have a lab on site? Can they do X-rays? It all depends on what your needs are.
- If you rely on public transportation, are there offices on a bus line or within walking distance. Do they validate parking if you are driving?
These are just guidelines to use in your search. Sometimes it all comes down to how your gut feels about the person. Good luck with your search.
One in every three individuals age 65 or older will suffer from a fall. These falls result in injuries as minor as a scratch but can be much worse resulting in hip fractures, head injuries and in some cases even death. Understanding who is at risk for falling and what steps to take to help prevent falls from occurring can be potentially life saving.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention falls are the leading cause of fatal and nonfatal injuries in older adults and 20 to 30 percent of falls result in moderate to severe injuries.
The risk of falling increases with age and individuals 75 and older who suffer from a fall are more than 4 times as likely to be admitted into an elder care facility, if they are not currently residing in one.
Though the outcomes of falls can be devastating, the risk of falling can be decreased with a few simple interventions. Scientists have linked a number of personal risk factors to falling. The greatest risk for falling, resulting in nearly 30 percent of all falls are accidents and a person’s environment. Many extrinsic factors such as bad lighting, staircases and uneven surface can be corrected to help eliminate falls. These are just a few of the many risk factors the elderly face on a daily basis.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention it is estimated that every 14 seconds a senior citizen is treated for injuries caused by a fall, every 29 minutes one of them dies following a fall. That means that more than 5,000 fall-related injuries occur everyday in the United States and every year more than 2 million older individuals are admitted to the hospital for treatment.
In 2012 it was reported that fall injuries cost over $36 billion and this number is expected to rise by $20 billion in the next six years.
The graphic below shows the percentages of fatal and non-fatal fall injuries that occur in adults 65 and older.
Other Risks Include:
- Gait/Balance Issues
- Weak Muscles or Fragile Bones
- Vision Problems
- Certain Medications
Aging naturally causes bones to get weaker and more brittle, which may lead to weaker body support. Kirkman’s 60 to 90 Bone Health Advanced Formula is specially formulated to support strong bones and teeth and help maintain and/or improve bone strength for seniors. There is evidence in human intervention studies that vitamins K and D, a classic in bone metabolism, work synergistically to improve bone health. Boron is also included based on studies that indicate that boron improves body stores of calcium and magnesium and improves bone density. Boron accomplishes this by aiding the body’s retention of these minerals and limiting their urinary excretion.
If you missed our recent promotion for the Bone Health Advanced Formula for Parents’ Day, take this opportunity for another chance to get this great product! We are re-running our Buy One Get One Free promotion again on July 31, 2019.
Kirkman® has a new design for our labels. Over the next year, you will see more of Kirkman’s products relabeled with our new label design until we replace labels on all of our Kirkman® branded products.
New elements of the new design include:
- Gold banding to highlight important visual areas and information.
- Icons or graphics that identify the free of status for six common allergens including gluten, casein, dairy, eggs, nuts and GMO.
- More visible “Gluten Free” and content description text (i.e. 360 vegetarian capsules).
- A QR code linked to Kirkman’s website.
You may see some products where an alpha designation has been added to the product number, which is strictly for Kirkman’s accounting of its market channel.
We will also be changing the bottle sizes of some products to consolidate our bottle inventory, which will result in faster delivery of products to you.
Perhaps the biggest design change is the replacement of our Ultra Tested® seal with our Purity Tested® seal that we think customers will understand and like better. The new Purity Tested seal will certify the exact same protocol for testing 900+ environmental contaminants as our Ultra Tested® seal.
Also, all product formulas will remain the same for each product number.
We hope you like our new design and we’d like to know if you do. Please e-mail us your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Today is the 2nd annual World Microbiome Day!
A lot has been written about the human “microbiome,” the trillions of microorganisms including bacteria, fungi and viruses in the body, that scientists say may hold important answers for our health issues.
But there’s more to the story about “microbiomes.” These communities of bacteria also live in plants, animals and are ubiquitous in the environment.
Sponsors of World Microbiome Day hope to raise public and research interest in the importance of “microbes” and the positive impact they can have on the world.
This event was launched by the SFI Research Centre APC Microbiome Ireland, a research center supported by the EU-funded project Microbiome Support and the European Food Information Council. A full schedule of events is planned in countries around the world to celebrate World Microbiome Day.
The theme of this year’s event is “Antibiotic Resistance,” which according to organizers, was chosen to turn a spotlight on the fact that overuse and misuse of antibiotics can lead to bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics making them ineffective.
In the U.S., research interest in the microbiome has been, in large part, prompted by results of the Human Genome Project, a 13-year, $2.7 trillion initiative to map the human genome. During the long course of this international project, researchers became more aware that humans are not just a product of their genes but that our genetic material may also be importantly impacted by the genomes of the body’s bacterial inhabitants.
In 2017, Kirkman® introduced a three-product microbiome regime based on what most scientists agree is required for microbial balance, which involves removing microbes that could be problematic and adding good microbes that support a healthy microbiome.
These products include:
This product is a hypoallergenic blend of natural ingredients known to support the body’s detoxification pathways. These natural pathways are mechanisms for removing environmental contaminants, which can invade the body from toxins in the air, water, food or other environmental sources.
Though a thorough genetic evaluation is needed to fully analyze the current state of a person’s microbiome, adding beneficial bacteria by taking a high strength probiotic is a strategic way of getting a good “head start” toward a healthy microbiome. The two most important groups of
beneficial bacteria residing in the intestines are the Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium species, which this product features.
In situations where undigested protein fragments are left in the gut, a healthy microbiome can become unhealthy because of the disrupted messaging that has resulted. Individuals particularly sensitive to these undigested protein fragments can experience very negative responses, which often manifest themselves as pain or negative behavior. DPP-IV™ can support the digestion of these undigested protein fragments and help prevent these undesirable responses.
Microbiome Broad Spectrum Enzyme with DPP-IV™ provides a comprehensive “foundation” of supplemental enzymes to support optimal digestion. Each enzyme works independently, but also in a complementary role to optimally impact digestion of all dietary components.
Kirkman® has just added CBD Full Spectrum Hemp Oil for Discomfort, Anxiety and Stress (#0978-001) to its hemp oil product line. It offers full-spectrum hemp phytocannabinoid extract, with 16 mg of CBD (cannabidol) per serving. The oil, which is coconut based, has a delicious vanilla/almond flavor. It can be taken on the tongue or sublingually with the dropper provided.
Kirkman® tests its CBD oil for THC (so it’s below the legal limits), 950 environmental contaminants, 24 heavy metals and common allergens. These laboratory tests ensure that our CBD oil is consistent from batch to batch.
Why Buy Kirkman’s Hemp Oil Products?
The quality of hemp oil products in the marketplace varies widely. Concerns of both
buyers and sellers of hemp oil products include:
- consistency in efficacy – the product works one time and then not the next;
- consistency in ingredients – contents that don’t match the label claim including more THC than stated; and,
- unwanted contaminants from heavy metals and pesticides because of the organic nature of the ingredients.
Kirkman’s quality of cannabinoid (CBD) products is superior to other cannabinoid products in the marketplace because of the rigorous laboratory testing to which it is subjected.
Kirkman® applies its “Purity Tested 950+” laboratory testing protocols that require each hemp oil product to be tested for more than 950 environmental contaminants including pesticides and other potentially harmful chemicals and also 24 heavy metals. No other supplement company in the world offers this degree of purity testing.
Other products in our Kirkman’s hemp oil product line include:
- Hemp Oil Extract Sleep Support (#0736-030)
- Hemp Oil Extract Immune Support (#0737-030)
- Hemp Oil Stress Support (#0738-030)
- Hemp Oil Extract for Joint and Muscle Discomfort (#0739-030)
- Hemp Oil Extract for Joint and Muscle Discomfort Cream (#740-004)